must take and pass written ICRC Prevention Specialist Exam
year or 2000 hours verifiable Prevention
Specific Work in past 4 Years
6 Hours Prevention
Specific Ethics Training
50 ATOD Specific
applying to the SACAVA Board must satisfy the
residency/work requirement and must live/and or work at
least 51% of the time within the jurisdiction of the
SACAVA Board when applying for initial certification.
A $50 late fee will be required if applicants fail to return
additional information within a 30 day extension period that may
be requested by SACAVA for certification and recertification.
Application fees once received are not refundable!
The following standards need to be met in order to receive
Prevention Specialist (formerly: Certified Prevention Professional
- Verification of one (1) year or 2,000 hours of prevention related paid work experience within the past four (4) years.
- Verification of 120 hours of supervised practical (on the job) training/experience in the five (5) core performance domains (minimum of ten (10) hours in each):
- Verification of 100 hours of prevention specific training. No more than 25 hours may be from in-service training. Fifty (50) hours of this training must be ATOD specific.
- Submission of three (3) references from individuals familiar with the applicant's work as a prevention professional (one supervisor, two peers).
- Adherence to professional code of ethics through a signed statement.
- Passing the written ICRC prevention examination.
- Documentation of 6 hours
Prevention Specific Ethics Training.
- Pay all application and
certification fees and mail to
60 West Building
7825 Midlothian Turnpike, Suite 218
Richmond, VA 23235