CERTIFIED ADDICTIONS COUNSELOR
1. To be certified by SACAVA an applicant must complete an application;
2. Have a minimum of 270 hours of documented training and/or education in both alcohol and drug treatment.
3. Supervised practical training of at least 300 hours in the twelve (12) core functions,
4. Document 150 clinical supervision hours [face to face) from a SACAVA Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS), (in special cases and with SACAVA Board pre-approval, professionals such as LCSWs, LPCs, Master's level & Doctoral level counselors & MDs may be approved as clinical supervisors).
5. Submit references from two individuals and your clinical supervisor who can attest to your professional knowledge and skills.
6. Submit evidence of at least 6000 hours of alcohol and drug abuse counseling work experience during the last six (6) years. The SACAVA board may substitute relevant formal education for part of the work experience requirements. Formal education encompasses AA/AS, BA/BS and MA/MS degrees in the human services field.
7. Subscribe to a code of professional conduct.
8. Successfully complete a Case Presentation Method (CPM) oral examination.
9. Pass the national IC&RC written exam administered by SACAVA.
10. Pay all application and certification fees.